- 12/01/23 – Multiplication Drill (The last 9-minute drill; we will decrease the time to 8 minutes for the next drill.)
- 12/01/23 – Vocabulary Quiz
- 12/01/23 – 6th Grade Test – Topic 3, Part 2
- 12/08/23 – Multiplication Drill (8-minute drill)
- 12/08/23 – Vocabulary Quiz
- 12/08/23 – 5th Grade Test – Topic 4
Principal Baker popped into my classroom one morning to inform me that he and AP Berry gave me two awards during I staff meeting, in which I was not in attendance. Many of you might not know, but I teach an online Algebra class for CPS at 7:45 a.m. every school day. So, I am not able to attend most staff meetings that are before school. But it was a wonderful surprise to be recognized for my values and practices as a professional.
I was recognized for exemplifying the core values, principles, and ethos of Murray Language Academy.
I was given an award for going above and beyond in demonstrating teamwork, leadership, determination, and resilience. 💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾
- Exit Tickets – I implemented online Exit Tickets two weeks ago because I want to keep track of students’ understanding and participation before there is a graded assignment. Students are still not completing the Independent Practice or Exit Ticket. Many students are off-task and talking when they should be quietly working. This week, parents of 5th grade students will receive an automated email if their student has not been completing Exit Tickets.
- Retake Test – When I issued the retake test policy, I reserved the right to make any changes I deem necessary. It appears that some students are not taking their first attempts seriously because they are given an opportunity to retake. However, the work habit has already been developed and those students tend not to do what is necessary to retake the test. So, let’s make sure students are giving their best effort the first time.
- Parenting Tip – Aristotle once stated, “Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.” This quote means that you can see the adult a child will be when they are 7 years old. Thus, it is important to shape a child by the age of 7. We cannot wait for them to become teenagers or young adults to begin shaping them. They have to be molded while they are soft and malleable, before any resistance can form. We cannot use the excuse of a child being a child to give them a pass. Since a child is a child, that is the perfect time to teach valuable life lessons.
- Weekly Homework Calendar
5th Grade Skills
- I can multiply decimals by powers of 10.
- I can use rounding and compatible numbers to estimate the product of a decimal and a whole number.
- I can multiply a decimal by a whole number.
- I can use an algorithm to multiply a decimal by a decimal.
- I can solve real world problems by multiplying decimals.
6th Grade Skills
- I can identify and write equivalent algebraic equations.
- I can combine like terms in algebraic expressions.